Notes, birds, nature, meanderings.

Musings about birds, nature, and our meanderings on the Central Oregon Coast

Saturday, August 27, 2011

August on the Oregon Coast - Part 3, Whalen Island

A trip to Clay Myers Natural Area at Whalen Island is always a worthwhile venture, and another of our favorite places.  Late August and early fall are perfect times to catch migrating song- and shore-birds.

Yellow-Rumped Warbler (Audubon)

This month, my visit was short on shorebirds, but the song-birds were quietly plentiful. A small group of YELLOW-RUMPED WARBLERS flew back and forth across the path in front of me, giving me good looks at juvenile plumaged birds. None of the birds had the distinctive yellow rumps, which prompted me to seek some expert advice on BirdFellow.com.




Dark-Eyed Junco (Oregon)




A disheveled looking DARK-EYED JUNCO appeared to have just gotten up from a nap.









Chestnut-Backed Chickadee



A flock of CHESTNUT-BACKED CHICKADEES teased and twittered in the brush.  A couple of them tried to dive at the camera, which was still in my hands.  Chickadees are always entertaining and never shy!





Hairy Woodpecker (juv)




This juvenile HAIRY WOODPECKER was a first for me -- the red crown threw me until I checked my Sibley which reassured me that juveniles have the red up top rather than on the back of the neck. 





WHITE-CROWNED SPARROWS were plentiful, as usual, with numerous juveniles foraging in the grass and bushes.
White-Crowned Sparrow (juv)
We'll try again in a couple of weeks when the migration will have picked up even more.  If you haven't check out this area, you really should do so.  September is a perfect time, but anytime is great! 

No comments:

Post a Comment