Notes, birds, nature, meanderings.

Musings about birds, nature, and our meanderings on the Central Oregon Coast

Saturday, March 26, 2011

Whalen Island

On Friday (3-18-2011) we headed north on Highway 101 to Clay Meyers Natural Area on Whalen Island (Tillamook County) where we spent some time last fall.  On the way we had a delightful visit at Nestucca Bay National Wildlife Refuge .  I am now typing this one-handed due to a broken finger I obtained at the next stop of the day (Cape Lookout).

We were apparently a bit early for the spring migration activity, but had a relaxing walk through some beautiful scenery.  The path takes you in a large circle around the island's perimeter -- the following are in order as we walked the island counter-clockwise.

































A large number of ROBINS and SPARROWS and a few FLICKERS were busy in the grassy area at the head of the trails.


NORTHERN FLICKER
WHITE-CROWNED SPARROW
GOLDEN-CROWNED SPARROW















I snapped this photo of a GREAT EGRET and a GREAT BLUE HERON, and when I downloaded the picture later, realized that I had captured FOUR herons, not one! 
GREAT EGRET WITH GREAT BLUE HERONS
WHERE THE LOON WAS



Along the way we saw a few waterfowl, including several BUFFLEHEAD and a COMMON LOON, who dove as I was snapping the picture - I kindof liked the result (although a photo of the loon  would have been better).






Finally we enjoyed six RED BREASTED MERGANSERS (three pairs) before we left the park.
RED BREASTED MERGANSER (f)
RED BREASTED MERGANSER (m)
 A beautiful day and a pleasant walk -- we plan to head back in April, when migration should be in full swing!


1 comment:

  1. Ha I love the "where the loon was" photo! I have tons of those, in the same series as "where the kinglet was." The trails you photographed look beautiful, I'll have to check them out sometime!

    ReplyDelete